The Pelvis CPD Workshop – Iliopsoas & Adductors.
The Pelvis Workshop explores the world of the Iliopsoas and adductors, and how we might facilitate releasing this muscle group. Working safely, responsibly, and effectively in such a vulnerable, difficult to access area requires sensitivity, and finely tuned communication skills.
The attachments of the psoas major/minor on the lumbar vertebrae are deep to the abdominal contents. Access can be blocked by a forbidding network of compacted fascia that binds abdominal viscera together. Additionally clients might present further physical barriers in the abdominal wall in the form of contracted tissue.
The proximity of the genitals to the adductor attachments on the pubis presents the most obvious safety concern when working around the adductors. Additionally, adductor work might cause a number of issues to arise that can cause the client to experience emotional reactions as varied as arousal, embarrassment, shame, fear, and anger. If we do not manage the treatment correctly, we risk making the client feel unnecessarily uncomfortable. Awareness of what can (and does) go wrong is the foundation of ensuring safety for both client and therapist.
We will learn to maintain our awareness of danger and use it to develop a very calm and caring approach. By focusing on communication skills, towel management, and the therapeutic alliance we will learn to establish a safe environment for both our clients, and ourselves when working with the pelvic attachments.
What will I learn on the Pelvis CPD Workshop?
You will learn how to:
- Work safely, confidently and successfully in the pelvic region.
- Understand the location and role of the iliopsoas and adductor muscles.
- Understand how emotions can be related to pelvic pain – and how to approach safely and sensitively.
- Understand the role of fascia in creating (and resolving) pelvic pain and dysfunction.
- Understand how to combine Mindful breathing techniques with pelvic release and stretching.
- Learn more advanced tools to teach your clients body awareness, encourage proprioception, and help your clients turn dysfunction into function.
- Communicate ALL of these concepts to your clients in ways that are SAFE, simple and engaging, and will create and foster therapeutic alliances, and in turn expand your practice exponentially.
- Be calmer, and more confident and compassionate. Know you are working safely.
Who can apply to join the Pelvis CPD Workshop?
Applications to attend our Pelvis CPD workshop are invited from Massage Therapists, Myofascial Release Therapists, Soft Tissue Therapists who have undertaken our 2 day Mindfulness workshop at least once.
Please note this is a CPD workshop for qualified practitioners, and completion of this workshop does not constitute a qualification to practice bodywork. Attendees will receive a certificate of attendance after completion of the full workshop.
When / Where / How Much?
For next workshop dates please contact us.
Venue: Islington, London.
How do I book?
To apply to book please contact us.
Pelvis image © Henrique Oliveira / Galerie Georges-Philippe & Nathalie Vallois